How to Select a Yacht for Sale

Are you in the market for a yacht for sale? If so then you have tons of options. The key is to make a wise choice based on various factors including your wants and needs. Here are some helpful tips:


  1. Shop around

As the old song goes, you should shop around when searching for a yacht for sale. There are various reasons. However, the main benefit is that it will be easier to find the right boat at the right price. On the other hand, if you don’t take this step the process achieving that goal will be more difficult.


There are several online and offline sources if you want to buy either a new, used or “nused” yacht. Keep in mind it’s a numbers game. The more shopping around you do the more likely you’ll find the best boat for your needs.


  1. Remember the ’30:70’ rule

What’s it all about? As a general rule, the boat’s builder produces 30% of the boat and then purchases the other 70% from other suppliers. Studies show that about half the parts will have to be replaced during the yacht’s first decade. Meanwhile, about 75% will have to be replaced following the second decade.


This is especially important regarding the yacht’s age. For example, if the yacht is one year old you should be prepared to invest some money to get the boat up to par. This is even more so if it’s two decades old or more.


  1. Search online

E-commerce has made it easier than ever to shop for just about everything including a yacht for sale. That’s why you should consider browsing the Internet for your next yacht. There are many benefits. For example, it’s more convenient since you can use a variety of devices including a desktop, laptop, smartphone, or tablet. This makes the entire process faster and easier.


Another major benefit of shopping for a yacht online is that it’s easier to do comparison shopping. That can be for various brands, models, amenities, facilities, and so on. The process is much more difficult if you have to physically travel to different locations. That’s likely a situation you’ll want to avoid, so it’s one to consider.


  1. Focus on function over form

The yacht might need some cosmetic touch-ups, equipment, etc. On the other hand, when buying a yacht, it’s better to focus first on the basics including how well the boat runs and other factors. Replacing these key components is more important than having a ton of extras that don’t affect the boat’s operation.


  1. Factor in the overall costs

When shopping for a yacht, you shouldn’t just consider the sticker price. You should consider other issues including the maintenance and repair costs. This can vary considerably. However, you can do some research to figure out the industry standards. That, in turn, will give you a better sense of the total cost of the vessel instead of the price to secure it.


These are some of the most important tips to consider when searching for a yacht for sale.